Angebot Map-Übersetzungen ins Englische

Wir freuen uns über jedes Feedback zu Usermaps und Kampagnen
Tommy
Administrator
Re: Angebot Map-Übersetzungen ins Englische

Beitrag von Tommy » Mi 31. Mai 2017, 15:41

Ich habs korrigiert.

Gruß Tommy
Linux is like a tipi: no gates, no windows, apache inside.
Forum, Chat, MapDB, Tools und Dokus für Mapper http://www.wikinger-tommy.de

Dreamchild

Beitrag von Dreamchild » Mi 31. Mai 2017, 16:21

Forgive me for responding in English; I do understand a little German, but I can hardly write it.

I'm very enthousiastic about the prospect of more usermaps in English, and I'd like to help with the vocabulary. The official list that is used by the program internally often looks strange or even confusing for those who play the game in English. (And while we will understand cripple English like 'Potion_Healing_Small' like German players would understand 'Trank Heil Klein', we'll be confused by words like 'ornaments' (Verzierungen) when marmor is called 'marble', or 'candy' for Kuchen; that's cake in the English game.)
Here's a list of the words used in the English version of the game:
Backstein - brick
Brot - bread
Bruchstein - quarrystone
Dachziegel - tile
Eisen - iron
Eisenspeer - iron spear
Eisenwerkzeug - iron tool
Fisch - fish
Fleisch - meat
Frucht - fruit
Geschirr - crockery
Gold - gold
Großer Heiltrank - large healing potion
Großer Nahrungstrank - large nourishing potion
Großer Wachtrank - large stamina potion
Holz - wood
Holzspeer - wooden spear
Holzwerkzeug - wooden tool
Honig - honey
Kettenhemd - chainmail
Kleiner Heiltrank - small healing potion
Kleiner Nahrungstrank - small nourishing potion
Kleiner Wachtrank - small stamina potion
Kraut - herb
Kuchen - cake
Kurzbogen - short bow
Kurzschwert - short sword
Langbogen - longbow
Langschwert - longsword
Leder - leather
Lederrüstung - leather armour
Lehm - clay
Marmor - marble
Mehl - flour
Met - mead
Möbel - furniture
Münze - coin
Nahrungsamulett - nourishing amulet
Öl - oil
Pilz - mushroom
Plattenrüstung - plate armour
Schuhe - shoes
Stärkeamulett - amulet of strenght
Steinblock - stone
Trefferamulett - amulet of precision
Veteidigungsamulett - amulet of defense
Wachbleibeamulett - amulet of stamina
Waffenrock - tunic
Wasser - water
Weizen - wheat
Windamulett - windamulet
Wolle - wool

And here's a list of the buildings in the English game:
Alchemist's hut
Armourer's shop
Bakery
Barracks
Beehive
Brewery
Carpenter's shop
Cattle farm
Coin mint
Defence tower
Dwelling
Farm
Herb hut
Mason's shop
Mill
Pottery
School
Smithy
Tailor's workshop
Temple
Warehouse
Well

These are the names in all the menus in the English version of the game, and I guess that a lot of the people who download the usermaps in English use the English version of the game.

Wicki
Administrator

Beitrag von Wicki » Mi 31. Mai 2017, 17:25

Hi Dreamchild,

welcome in our community.

You have properly recognised some words may be a little bit confused.
We are glad about every support of helping in translation. If possible you can export your lists as pdf and send us.
We´ll publish them on our documentation side on wikinger-tommy.de
Bild
Die Cultures Mappertipps : www.wickis-welt.net - jetzt auch mit RSS Feed

Dreamchild

Beitrag von Dreamchild » Mi 31. Mai 2017, 18:59

Wicki hat geschrieben:Hi Dreamchild,

welcome in our community.
Thank you, Wicki!
You have properly recognised some words may be a little bit confused.
Apparently it was even confusing for the developpers: in two missions of 8th Wonder (DAW) 'Bruchstein' is translated with 'stone' instead of 'quarrystone' in the briefings. So I had masons slaving away to produce lots of stone and carriers wearing their shoes out getting them all in the appropriate warehouse, without any succes :evil: Later I found on the Steam forum I wasn't the only one who had gotten frustrated and confused.
We are glad about every support of helping in translation. If possible you can export your lists as pdf and send us.
We´ll publish them on our documentation side on wikinger-tommy.de
I'm sorry, I don't have the software for pdf's. But I'll be pleased if I can be of any further help.

thschlumpf

Beitrag von thschlumpf » Do 1. Jun 2017, 16:24

Dreamchild hat geschrieben: I'm sorry, I don't have the software for pdf's. But I'll be pleased if I can be of any further help.
Do you have Excel?
'ornaments' (Verzierungen) when marmor is called 'marble'
:up: Welcome, it is for german users also confused. Everytime I am thinking, what was 'ornaments' an what is 'crockery'?
Ich bin der Schlumpf, der ständig schlumpft!

Und ich mag keinen Schiffshandel!

Dreamchild

Beitrag von Dreamchild » Do 1. Jun 2017, 23:07

thschlumpf hat geschrieben:
Dreamchild hat geschrieben: I'm sorry, I don't have the software for pdf's. But I'll be pleased if I can be of any further help.
Do you have Excel?
Yeah, but it immediately started bleating about being outdated, so that's probably no help at all.
Besides, I don't have files with lists. I'll just have to copypaste my posting.
'ornaments' (Verzierungen) when marmor is called 'marble'
:up: Welcome, it is for german users also confused. Everytime I am thinking, what was 'ornaments' an what is 'crockery'?
I'm sorry, but I'm confused by your confusion ... 'Crockery' is the translation for 'Geschirr', both in the English version of the game as well as in that internal list for programmers. But players of the English game see in their menu that a stonemason in a Mason's shop 2 produces 'stone' and 'marble'. How are we to know that those are are called 'stone pillars' and 'ornaments' in an internal list :roll: It would be the same if you were playing a usermap translated to German and a briefing asked you to produce 'steinen Säulen' and 'Verzierungen' while you see 'Steinblocken' and 'Marmor' in the menu of the stonemason.
(Someone actually asked what was ment by 'ornaments' on this forum, and was laughed at :( )

@ SaCoMa : I noticed that one of your maps , "The big order", is in English, but has 'DE' as the language code. So it doesn't turn up in the list of search results when someone selects English as language. I think that's a pity (and will play your map as soon as I've completed the mission I'm in at the moment).

NorthernLight

Beitrag von NorthernLight » Fr 2. Jun 2017, 09:36

Hi Dreamchild, thschlumpf and Wicki,

don't worry any more about the pdf file with Dreamchild's terminology list. I will send the pdf file to Wicki because I had to import Dreamchild's list anyway to be able to work with it.

NorthernLight
Cultures forever! :D

Tommy
Administrator

Beitrag von Tommy » Fr 2. Jun 2017, 11:02

I have set the map "The big order" to EN.

Greets Tommy
Linux is like a tipi: no gates, no windows, apache inside.
Forum, Chat, MapDB, Tools und Dokus für Mapper http://www.wikinger-tommy.de

thschlumpf

Beitrag von thschlumpf » Fr 2. Jun 2017, 19:14

I'm sorry, but I'm confused by your confusion ... 'Crockery' is the translation for 'Geschirr',
Sorry, it is because the ornament is for me also confusion, you see in game a pillar, so it is a marble pillar no ornament.

And the crockery is for me personally confusion (becaus my bad english), so both words are unfamilar for me. And crockery sounds more like ornaments.

-> I hadn't it write together in one sentence ;) Sorry!
Ich bin der Schlumpf, der ständig schlumpft!

Und ich mag keinen Schiffshandel!

NorthernLight

Beitrag von NorthernLight » So 4. Jun 2017, 16:21

While I'm translating and looking on the different word lists I have the impression that there has already been a lot of confusion regarding the terminology when the game was developed. The programmers seemingly used different terms for the internal computer processes than the translators who translated the game before it was published. Possibly the two "teams" didn't communicate about a uniform, consistent terminology. That's obvious from the lists I received from Tommy and Dreamchild which contain different terms in several cases. And some terms are obviously defined just for programming purposes because they don't correspond at all with the related object of the game (for example: "saracen tent 03" for "Näherei 1" or "Frank church" for "Näherei 2").

I have no idea which terms the first individual mappers used when they translated their German maps into English but I suppose they used, at least partly, the programmers' terminology which is different from that of the actual game played by the English-speaking users.

That's what I meant when I wrote at first that I wanted to avoid confusion by using different terms from those in the "original" English game - which, after all, has been translated itself from German into English because Funatics is a German company and so the in-game texts will all have been in German - whereas the programmers usually write their programmes in English as far as I know. So it all started when the first translators tried to bring the German in-game texts into English - probably, as is usual in this business, without having the possibility to cooperate with the programmers, without seeing or playing the game themselves or having much information about it and, additionally, under a lot of time pressure.

I'm just sharing this because from my perspective it's very interesting what can happen when a game is translated and there are different departments and languages involved in the development, programming and publishing of the game - and at the same time there is not enough time (planned) for communicating with each other about consistent terminology.

Thoughtful greetings
NorthernLight
Cultures forever! :D

Antworten