more english maps?

Molt
Re: more english maps?

Beitrag von Molt » Mo 22. Aug 2016, 23:16

Phantowm hat geschrieben:But the baker profession requires to be already unlocked for it to be learned there.
Or am I unfamiliar with the full potential of the School..
So it would seem.

When learning a profession at school, your little Vikings do not only get the profession unlocked they're learning, but they also gain experience in their current profession.
The amount of experience gained is the same amount that would be required to unlock the profession they're learning by "traditional" means.

Example: The trader profession requires a carrier to gain 10 experience in carrying.
Thus if you have unlocked the trading profession and send a Farmer to school to become a trader, he will a) learn the trading profession and b) gain 10 experience in farming, thus also learning the miller profession and even unlocking it to be learned at school.
This means that once you have a school and have unlocked just ANY profession that can be learned there, you can jump-start the entire technology tree with virtually zero resources and time.
(Note that for a school to be constructed (manually, not via letter), a potter is required, which already yields the required "profession that can be learned at school".)

This can be taken one step further with goods that are not unlocked with the profession itself, but require more experience
For example, it takes 10xp for a herb guy to become a druid, and another 10xp as a druid to learn how to produce the first potion (previously only oil).
Now, if you send a druid with 0xp to school to learn druid again, he will come out with 10xp, having magically learned how to produce the potion at 10xp (lesser stamina potion, I think?).
If you now send him to learn how to produce the potion he just unlocked, he will gain 10xp from the base profession plus 10xp from the potion, thus gaining 20xp, bringing him to 30, thus unlocking 4 potions at once, leaving nothing but the greater healing potion locked.
But send him to school once more and he can produce even that one, without having wasted a single precious resource for the production of a potion (or oil) you knew you were never gonna use anyway.

Cheers :P

Phantowm

Beitrag von Phantowm » Mo 22. Aug 2016, 23:34

I understand now.
I've only used the School to teach newly born Vikings professions already learned in order to generally boost my economy.

Thank you for this explanation, Molt! I appreciate it.

This is similar to the Barracks but it just works for all other professions.
And for learning in the Barracks you need coins.

Cheers!
I, Bjarni, son of Leif, hereby pledge myself and my honour to thy sword and hilt of justice. Let there be maps, eternally created and played, for ever anon.. So that the users may feel gratitude for their time spent here.

Alix

Beitrag von Alix » Di 23. Aug 2016, 11:22

Thank to molt for the very good Explanation.
My english is to bad for writing such compleed informations

BTW I never learnd in barracks but sometimes attac fens.
Erst wenn Du am Abgrund stehst und nicht mehr weiter weißt erkennst Du, wer Dich zurückreißt und wer Dich springen läßt.

Beeejah

Beitrag von Beeejah » Di 23. Aug 2016, 13:35

delfin hat geschrieben:
Alix hat geschrieben:Why build a mill or backery if you can have a brewery?
Because some people would like to build slowly and cozy intentionally :D
:D Same here! I'll continue to build mills and bakeries on maps that offer enough buiding space and materials, I think.

delfin hat geschrieben:I will try to translate a few maps into English in my spare time. But because my English is not so good, I will be confine myself to simple texts.
Oh, that would be nice! Not just for me, because English is much easier for me than German, but mostly for all those Cultures fans who don't understand German.
(And since there's a tutorial on Steam* on how to search in and download from www.wikinger-tommy.de/mapdb chances are those fans will find their way to the maps of this community.)

* Northland was the only Cultures game I was able to buy in The Netherlands, so I really jumped for joy when I could buy 8th Wonder of the World on Steam

Molt hat geschrieben:When learning a profession at school, your little Vikings do not only get the profession unlocked they're learning, but they also gain experience in their current profession.
The amount of experience gained is the same amount that would be required to unlock the profession they're learning by "traditional" means.

Example: The trader profession requires a carrier to gain 10 experience in carrying.
Thus if you have unlocked the trading profession and send a Farmer to school to become a trader, he will a) learn the trading profession and b) gain 10 experience in farming, thus also learning the miller profession and even unlocking it to be learned at school.
This means that once you have a school and have unlocked just ANY profession that can be learned there, you can jump-start the entire technology tree with virtually zero resources and time.
(Note that for a school to be constructed (manually, not via letter), a potter is required, which already yields the required "profession that can be learned at school".)

This can be taken one step further with goods that are not unlocked with the profession itself, but require more experience
Ah, so that's the logic behind it. Thanks for your clear explanation, Molt!
Molt hat geschrieben:without having wasted a single precious resource for the production of a potion (or oil) you knew you were never gonna use anyway.
Not to mention a lot of time ... I really wish I had known this before.

Alix hat geschrieben:I also like "school of loki" = LOKIs schule (I don't know why Tommy put this map to the riddle maps...)
Well, I can imagine it's because it makes quite a lot of difference if you realize that you don't need to become hostile to tear down buildings of other factions ... Not really a riddle, but certainly a question of logic, of needing to think about how to do things.
I like that about your maps, that you really need to think about how to do things and in which order. (Especially now, thanks to this forum, I begin to understand some tricks you don't learn from the tutorials, and it's not so frustrating anymore :? )

Phantowm

Beitrag von Phantowm » Di 23. Aug 2016, 17:25

Beeejah hat geschrieben:I like that about your maps, that you really need to think about how to do things and in which order. (Especially now, thanks to this forum, I begin to understand some tricks you don't learn from the tutorials, and it's not so frustrating anymore :? )
The tutorials only give you the basic idea and understanding of how complex this game can be.
I see this forum as a pillar for both new and veteran players alike, who appreciate the game at its core.
I, Bjarni, son of Leif, hereby pledge myself and my honour to thy sword and hilt of justice. Let there be maps, eternally created and played, for ever anon.. So that the users may feel gratitude for their time spent here.

Beeejah

Beitrag von Beeejah » Di 23. Aug 2016, 18:40

Phantowm hat geschrieben: I see this forum as a pillar for both new and veteran players alike, who appreciate the game at its core.
Wow, I like your view.

And, yep the tutorials only give you the basic idea and understanding. But only playing 'official maps' doesn't prepare you by far for how complex the game really can be ... Well, at least it didn't prepare me for the complexity of the Cultures world that's opening for me now that I've found this user map data base.

By the way, I really admire the skills, time and effort the creators here put and have put in making all these user maps. I've briefly tried the editor of Northland (the only game I own on CD) and it dazzled me to realize how time consuming it must be to create a map! A heart felt thanks to you all for both making the maps and making them available for other players!

Phantowm

Beitrag von Phantowm » Di 23. Aug 2016, 21:42

Beeejah hat geschrieben:But only playing 'official maps' doesn't prepare you by far for how complex the game really can be ... Well, at least it didn't prepare me for the complexity of the Cultures world that's opening for me now that I've found this user map data base.
Well, I loaded a couple of official maps in the internal editor and I must say, the time and effort the developers have put in is impressive.
Just looking at the missions alone I was amazed. No wonder the campaigns were so fun to play.
P.S I love the Pyramids of Giza! Mainly for the Saracen and Egyptian mercenaries.

So I can safely say the official maps are way more complex than you'd think. There's a lot more to them than it meets the eye, especially when you look at how they were made.

Beeejah hat geschrieben:By the way, I really admire the skills, time and effort the creators here put and have put in making all these user maps. I've briefly tried the editor of Northland (the only game I own on CD) and it dazzled me to realize how time consuming it must be to create a map! A heart felt thanks to you all for both making the maps and making them available for other players!
Sometimes it gets boring to play the same maps. That's why people have put their time and effort to develop their own creations to spice up the gameplay.
If it wasn't for Alix's Die Ägypter I wouldn't have known how it feels to play as Egyptians.

Wicki
Administrator

Beitrag von Wicki » Di 23. Aug 2016, 22:16

@beejah,
if you´ll create new maps, please use the editor of DAW ( 8th Wonder of the World). The editor of northland is not so extensively (the editor of DAW has more features) - most of our maps were made with the editor of DAW, so most of the maps are not playable with northland

I don´t know, if the steam version of DAW includes the editor - if not, you can buy a DAW download version (price € 4,99) from DotEmu (english and german language, both included) with editor:
http://store.dotemu.com/en/download-gam ... -the-world
(please use this link otherwise you won´t find the game download)
Bild
Die Cultures Mappertipps : www.wickis-welt.net - jetzt auch mit RSS Feed

Beeejah

Beitrag von Beeejah » Di 23. Aug 2016, 22:30

Wicki hat geschrieben:@beejah,
if you´ll create new maps, please use the editor of DAW ( 8th Wonder of the World). The editor of northland is not so extensively (the editor of DAW has more features) - most of our maps were made with the editor of DAW, so most of the maps are not playable with northland

I don´t know, if the steam version of DAW includes the editor - if not, you can buy a DAW download version (price € 4,99) from DotEmu (english and german language, both included) with editor:
http://store.dotemu.com/en/download-gam ... -the-world
(please use this link otherwise you won´t find the game download)
Ah, thanks for your advice and the link, Wicki!
The Steam version of DAW doesn't include the editor. But before I can consider trying to create maps, I think I'll first have to get better at playing the game :oops:

Beeejah

Beitrag von Beeejah » Di 23. Aug 2016, 22:45

Phantowm hat geschrieben:
Beeejah hat geschrieben:But only playing 'official maps' doesn't prepare you by far for how complex the game really can be ... Well, at least it didn't prepare me for the complexity of the Cultures world that's opening for me now that I've found this user map data base.
Well, I loaded a couple of official maps in the internal editor and I must say, the time and effort the developers have put in is impressive.
Just looking at the missions alone I was amazed. No wonder the campaigns were so fun to play.
P.S I love the Pyramids of Giza! Mainly for the Saracen and Egyptian mercenaries.

So I can safely say the official maps are way more complex than you'd think. There's a lot more to them than it meets the eye, especially when you look at how they were made.
Oh, that's quite interesting to read!

(And I'll have to admit I haven't even got as far as the Pyramids of Giza ... I've been stuck in the Hanging Gardens for quite some time, not getting what I did wrong or was missing. And then it turned out it had apparently been a random bug; playing the mission completely fresh from the start I suddenly could complete it. But by then I had gotten side tracked by all those user maps ... ;) )
Phantowm hat geschrieben:
Beeejah hat geschrieben:By the way, I really admire the skills, time and effort the creators here put and have put in making all these user maps. I've briefly tried the editor of Northland (the only game I own on CD) and it dazzled me to realize how time consuming it must be to create a map! A heart felt thanks to you all for both making the maps and making them available for other players!
Sometimes it gets boring to play the same maps. That's why people have put their time and effort to develop their own creations to spice up the gameplay.
If it wasn't for Alix's Die Ägypter I wouldn't have known how it feels to play as Egyptians.
:D That one will be one of the first maps in German that I'll try!

Antworten